Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons
Forum Home Forum Home > BYTE SIZED COMPUTER TIPS > Anti-virus Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free Anti-virus Software

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator Gp
Administrator Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Watton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Anti-virus Software
    Posted: 30 May 2010 at 02:00

Something for nothing??

There's a lot of Free anti-virus products available over the net, and I wanted to share my experience with everyone, just to give you a little food for thought.

As some of you may already know, as well as being the Webmaster for the Provincial website and a member of the FAT team, I am employed as an ITC Administrator (Information and Communications Technology). In my line of work, I am very familiar with the big players in the anti-virus marketplace including; Sophos, ESET, McAfee, Norton etc., etc.

I agree that they all offer a great service, albeit for a small yearly charge, usually around 20-40 per year, but what if you're a light user and don't feel like forking out when there are so many free options available online? Which is the best Internet Security product for your machine without having to part with your cash? Well, in recent years, Grisoft's free anti-virus software 'AVG' has been the choice for many, but recently there's been a new player who's hoping to take the free anti-virus crown. It's free, integrates with your operating system (Windows XP, Vista and 7) easily, and so far, is outperforming AVG in reliability to grab 'in the wild' viruses. It runs quietly and unobtrusively in the background without taxing your processor or taking up valuable memory. And as a further added bonus, it doesn't periodically ask you to upgrade or purchase the full edition. This may surprise you, but it's a free Microsoft product called Security Essentials.

For a number of years I have recommended AVG Free Editon to many people and have used it myself on my home machines, and have been impressed by it's performance. However, in recent months it has let in one or two troublesome trojans, which were luckily caught by Microsoft's excellent Security Essentials suite. Since then I have run the Microsoft product exclusively at home, on XP, Vista and 7 platforms and have been mightily impressed with its performance and easy to use interface.

If you're a Windows user and are currently running a free anti-virus software package, I would recommend trying Microsoft's Security Essentials product.

If you're reluctant to change or still unconvinced, there's no harm in downloading and installing the Microsoft software, getting the latest virus definition updates, and scanning your entire hard drive. If it keeps your email and web-browsing secure, for free, it's got to be worth a look!

For more information and to download go to: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

<div align="center" style="padding: 15px;">
[IMG]http://forum.cumbriafreemasons.org/graphics/union129.png" title="Union Lodge No.129 250 years 1764 to 2014"/>
<br/>Terry Watton
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Tom M. Preuss View Drop Down
Non-Mason Member Gp
Non-Mason Member Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom M. Preuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 12:14
Thank you for this information Terry,

I run Windows XP and have just uninstalled AVG and installed this Microsoft Software.After the first scan it found 3 potential threats that AVG didnt pick up!
So i would like to recomend this Anti Virus Software and thank you to Bro. Bill Gates for the free Software.

Albert Pike Lodge #1067 AF&AM ACGL
Tom M. Preuss View Drop Down
Non-Mason Member Gp
Non-Mason Member Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom M. Preuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 18:06
I no run Vista and have got Bt Net Protect Plus installed a very good anti virus program with Firewall.Thumbs Up
Albert Pike Lodge #1067 AF&AM ACGL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 13:54
Thanks for this Terry.  I am soon to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 and my existing Norton 360 will not work with the new operating system so will give the Microsoft version a go.
Ian Turner View Drop Down
C&W Craft/Chapter Gp
C&W Craft/Chapter Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 17:23
Spyware doctor is good ,but you have to pay is there such a thing "as a free lunch"
Barry Crosthwaite View Drop Down
Non-Mason Member Gp
Non-Mason Member Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Crosthwaite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 17:53
Microsoft Security Essentials has worked very well for me, since Terry brought it to our notice.
It is very simple to use, takes far less time in doing scans and I would recommend it to everyone.

And - its free!!!

Barry Crosthwaite

Desmond P. A. Feely View Drop Down
C&W Craft/Chapter Gp
C&W Craft/Chapter Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desmond P. A. Feely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 20:30
Re 'Free Lunch' -
it simply depends what rank you hold when you go visiting Big smile
Delta Fox
Chris Jennings View Drop Down
C&W Mason Gp
C&W Mason Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Jennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2012 at 21:17
Very informative Terry - I agree, Do not buy any of the security packages as you can get all you need for free. I have just bought a new laptop and removed the security package and replaced this with Security Essentials from Microsoft.

I would also recommend the following free software

(This found spyware on my new machine)

Computer Cleaner (CCleaner)
(This is a wow product, when i first run this, i was able to delete 2GB from my hard drive...)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 09:06
Sometimes you can get a virus that you can not easily remove, particulaly if your virus protection is not up to the job or you do not have any.

If you find yourself in this situation you can download a copy of 'Rkill' free from the internet.  You may need to download it from a computer that is not infected or for peace of mind download it now and keep it in a safe place.

Rkill will stop the virus from running which will enable you then to either run or install your anti-virus software. 

I have had to do this for a number of 'friends' who have had problems with viruses and has been very effective.  I have then downloaded Malwarebytes free version, run that to remove the viruses and then installed Windows Security Essentials and run that.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic