Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons
Forum Home Forum Home > BYTE SIZED COMPUTER TIPS > Anti-virus Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The UKASH virus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator Gp
Administrator Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Erett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The UKASH virus
    Posted: 30 April 2013 at 20:21
I nearly got caught out with this one!  I advertised my car for sale in Autotrader.  I received a text message offering me a sum very close to the asking price.  If i wished to accept, I should go on line to a site called "carsales-autotrader.com"  The site is quite professional looking and so far, I could not see anything wrong.  As I progressed, I was asked to send a UKASH payment of 80.00 to demonstrate that the acceptance was genuine.  I would be reimbursed 80.00 in cash by the person collecting the car.  At this point, I rang Autotrader, to be told that this was a scam and that the website had nothing to do with them.  So, be warned.  If it looks too good, then it probably is. 

I now lead on to draw attention to the so-called UKASH virus.  You may start your computer to be faced with a message saying that the computer is locked as you have tried to access a website belonging to the police or some such organisation.  It also says you can get it unlocked only by paying a specified sum of money through UKASH.  The only word which is correct, is "Virus."  that is what this is.  It has nothing to do with the police and it has nothing to do with UKASH, which is a reputable company which is registered with the Financial Services Agency.
The only way to get rid of the so called UKASH virus, is to have a computer expert remove it for you.
So, again, be warned, no-one is immune from this one!
Bob Erett Craft: PPGSwdB 9734,JW Lodge 9734 Asst Sec 9911, MM MK0 (S.C.); Royal Arch: PPGSoj, PPrGSwdB(WL), "H" 343, PZ & SE 9734;Janitor 9430; KT PPrHer, Eminent Preceptor 606. RoyalOrderofScotland

Ian Atkinson View Drop Down
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Atkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 20:34
Thanks for the warnings Bob,
Any idea how your PC got infected with the UKASH virus?
My PC is scanned every night without fail and anything even slightly suspicious or with a name I don't recognise gets removed. Doesn't mean I can't get it of course, so would be interested to hear how it comes in if anyone knows?

Ian Atkinson
PPrJGW   
WM Cumbrian Byte Lodge 9760; PCmdr Wellington RAM 1678; Sun & Sector Lodge No 962; Z Sun & Sector Chapter 962;
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 14:32
Ian,  my computer did not get infected by this virus.  I know someone whose did, but my lips are sealed!
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Atkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 16:00
Come on Doug, just tell me. I won't tell anyone

Ian
Bob Erett View Drop Down
Administrator Gp
Administrator Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Erett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 18:48
Ian. My computer didn't get infected either. Douglas Lowe, having been a mason for 76 years, knows how to keep a secret!
Bob Erett Craft: PPGSwdB 9734,JW Lodge 9734 Asst Sec 9911, MM MK0 (S.C.); Royal Arch: PPGSoj, PPrGSwdB(WL), "H" 343, PZ & SE 9734;Janitor 9430; KT PPrHer, Eminent Preceptor 606. RoyalOrderofScotland

Ian Turner View Drop Down
C&W Craft/Chapter Gp
C&W Craft/Chapter Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 11:47
What is the best anti virus software ie the free ones or do you have to buy one for it to be of any use.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 11:58
Ian,

I use Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and in addition run the free version of Malwarebytes.   Touch wood I have never had a problem using these 2.  The beauty of Microsoft Esentials is that it is not as resource hungry as some other anti virus programmes that I have used. 
John Brownlow View Drop Down
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Brownlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:59
I too use microsoft security essentials & I find it OK.

Regards,

John Brownlow.
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp
C&W Mason - Secretary Gp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Atkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 13:32
I also run MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, and have been OK so far.

Ian Atkinson
PPrJGW   
WM Cumbrian Byte Lodge 9760; PCmdr Wellington RAM 1678; Sun & Sector Lodge No 962; Z Sun & Sector Chapter 962;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic